Annual Membership Meeting
Where: La Veta Community Center, 131 E. Ryus Ave, La Veta, CO
When: Thursday, August 12th 2021 at 10:00 Am to 1:00 PM
Annual SPAWP Membership Meeting a Great Success
The Spanish Peaks Alliance for Wildfire Protection (SPAWP) will hold its third Annual Membership meeting.
SPAWP has had an exciting few years and a positive outlook going into 2022. Hear the latest updates about our projects and other topics including:
- Education, Project, Fund Raiser Needs and Updates
- Updates of the Current FRWRM (Forest Restoration & Wildfire Risk Mitigation) and BLM (Bureau of Land Mgmt) Mitigation fire prevention and recovery projects. Community Momentum is increasing as Adjoining Land Owners are Correlating with current land projects.
- USFS (United States Forestry Service) on Highway 12 Mitigation Project Update and Sign ups and Public Slash collection Site.
- Voting members will elect Directors to new terms for the coming year. We will provide the slate of candidates for open positions. If you are interested in joining the Board or contributing your time and talents to a commitee, please convey your interest, along with a brief resume, to President, Craig Yenzer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the participation and other requirements for Board members, please review our bylaws on our website: www.spawp.org.
Annual Membership Meeting
Wednesday, August 14th, 2020 at 1 PM at La Veta FPD Station #2, Cuchara, CO
The Spanish Peaks Alliance for Wildfire Protection (SPAWP) will hold its second Annual Membership meeting on August 14th at the LVFPD Station #2 in Cuchara, CO. The Zoom Registration link is provided below.
SPAWP has had an exciting year. Hear the latest about our projects:
- Demonstration mitigation project at Red Hill, funded by the AIM grant and your donations.
- The FRWRM (Forest Restoration & Wildfire Risk Mitigation) grant to provide mitigation in Majors Ranch, Navajo Ranch, Spanish Peaks and Baker Creek/Panadero/Sun Mountain.
- Colorado State Forest Service $300,000 Highway 12 Mitigation Project (Speaker: Jared Fleming, CSFS).
- Home Ignition Zones (HIZ) presentation (Speaker: Paul Branson).
Voting members will elect Directors to new terms for the coming year. We will provide the slate of candidates for open positions. Voting members will receive the slate and a proxy if they cannot attend. If you are interested in joining the Board, please convey your interest, along with a brief resume, to Craig Yenzer at email@example.com. For the participation and other requirements for Board members, please review our bylaws on our website: www.spawp.org.
Zoom login information:
When: Aug 14, 2020 01:00 PM Mountain Time (US and Canada)
Topic: SPAWP Annual Membership Meeting
Register in advance for this webinar: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_cJ0hbWXESQm7UTIQ4bknMA
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
We look forward to seeing you at the meeting.
Huerfano Water Day
Saturday, September 14th, 2019 8:30 am-4:00 pm, La Veta Community Center, 131 E. Ryus Ave.
Coffee and donuts will be available. Being among the first 90 through the door will get you a free lunch. See attached flyer for details. For more information, contact Sandy White at (719) 742-6164.
Post Spring Fire – 1 year
Friday, September 13th, 2019 6:00 pm, La Veta Community Center, 131 E. Ryus Ave.
Manuel Molles and Derek Sokoloski will present an update on ecosystem recovery one year after the Spring Fire. This talk is a follow-up to their discussion in 2018 and will focus on ecosystem recovery across the Spring Fire burn scar along gradients of fire severity, including soil properties and regrowth and survival of herbaceous plants, shrubs, and trees.
Fire mitigation, flooding, erosion, and altered hydrology will also be discussed. Manuel Molles is Professor Emeritus at the University of New Mexico and Derek Sokoloski is the Southeast Area Manager of the Colorado State Forest Service. This program is co-sponsored by the Town of La Veta, La Veta Public Library, Colorado State Forest Service and La Veta Trails.
For more information, contact Marilyn Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org